3.06.2014

WWJD?... Think about that for a long while...

Love Extends beyond Convenience
“I want volunteers … who will pledge themselves, earnestly and honestly for an entire year, not to do anything without first asking the question, ‘What would Jesus do?’ … Our aim will be to act just as He would if He [were] in our places, regardless of immediate results. In other words, we propose to follow Jesus’ steps as closely and as literally as we believe He taught His disciples to do.”


Romance and Commitment: The Best Medicine for Marriage
"I also found that one of the greatest gifts I could give Bob was a positive, cheerful attitude. I had promised myself before marriage that I would not complain about his schedule and that I would be a constant support to him. When he arrived at the door after work, I would give him a cheerful “Hello” and a big hug."


Marriage Standards
“I recall the testimony of a young lady at a stake conference in which she told of her dating years. Her mother had helped her to understand the pitfalls. Now a young wife … , she could look at her husband sitting on the stand at Church … and be proud of him, remembering their wonderful courtship and relationship: married in the temple, nothing to hide, no regrets. She told how they were tempted. But their goal was the temple. They knew the difference between a pure kiss and necking. They knew that virtue is lost by degrees. Their plans were carefully thought out, avoiding the parked car on a lonely road and the late hours alone”


Adversity
"When some people face adversity, they complain and become bitter. They ask questions like “Why does this have to happen to me? Why do I have to suffer this now? What have I done to deserve this?” But these questions have the power to dominate their thoughts. Such questions can overtake their vision, absorb their energy, and deprive them of the experiences the Lord wants them to receive. Rather than responding in this way, people should consider asking questions such as, “What am I to do? What am I to learn from this experience? What am I to change? Whom am I to help? How can I remember my many blessings in times of trial?”


Murmur Not
"Perhaps when we murmur we are unconsciously complaining over not being able to cut a special deal with the Lord. We want full blessings but without full obedience to the laws upon which those blessings are predicated. For instance, some murmurers seem to hope to reshape the Church to their liking by virtue of their murmuring. But why would one want to belong to a church that he could remake in his own image, when it is the Lord’s image that we should come to have in our countenances?"


The Exquisite Joy of Repentance
"No one is immune from making poor choices. To be complacent with one’s testimony is to invite trouble. Prior to my period of inactivity in the Church, I went to my bishop with various seeming troubles. He always counseled me to read my scriptures and pray. I concluded that he gave me such counsel because he was not a professional and it was all he really had to offer. As a result, I never took his advice. How grateful I am to have learned that the best way to find solutions to problems and to safeguard my testimony is to be constant in scripture study and prayer."


Honesty
"When we understand the teachings of Jesus, we will want to be honest in all we do. Jesus has taught us that we are children of our Father in Heaven and that we are all brothers and sisters. He has taught that we can be truly happy only when we are honest. We would not be at peace with ourselves if we had something in our home that did not belong to us. He has also taught us that if we have faith in Him, repent, and are truly honest we can return to live with our Father in Heaven and be happy forever."

No comments: