"We cannot afford to neglect this heaven-inspired program. It can bring spiritual growth to each member of the family, helping him or her to withstand the temptations which are everywhere. The lessons learned in the home are those that last the longest."
FHE is a very important part of the LDS family. I'm willing to even go so far as to compare its importance to that of Sunday School or even Sacrament meetings. In order to help bring families closer together we must all seek to get closer to Christ and center our family on this pursuit.
Here are a few resources to aid in getting FHE in your home successfully kick started.
A few FHE Ideas
Family Home Evening Resource Book
Fun for the LDS family
Easy to prepare! Fun to share!
What makes family home evening successful?
- Start and end with prayer. This invites the Spirit, increases love, and teaches your family how to pray.
- Learn from the scriptures and the words of latter-day prophets to help your family live the gospel.
- Add music, such as hymns and Primary songs, to create an atmosphere of love, peace, and joy.
- Make it fun by playing games, acting out scripture stories, and making treats. Keep the atmosphere light and loving.
- Be consistent. Monday nights are set aside by the Church for family home evening. If that doesn’t work, find a night that does.
- Add variety. Help a neighbor in need, hold a lesson at the park, or go for a walk as a family.